Planeterra is committed to a greener world for travelers. Achieving this means working outside the box and combining our efforts with governments, NGOs, academia, and industry. We invite you to learn more about how Planeterra Green is developing the best and brightest innovations in our field. Check back with us and bookmark this page.
A Knowledge Management System (KMS) for Green Destinations
- In 2011, Planeterra worked with the Cornell Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise and the Belize Tourism Board to pioneer a web-based tool that analyzes governmental data to accurately estimate what investments are most needed to avoid the negative impacts of tourism development.
- Solid information will be made available to local citizens, informing transparent dialog at the national, state and municipal levels.
A Green Supply Chain Program
- In 2011, Planeterra began working in Cusco, Peru to invest in biodegradable soaps for G Adventures travelers on the Inca Trail and in a water cooler program for all G Adventures partner hotels in Peru. This program will be expanded in 2012.
- Training Programs for Tour Guides
- In 2011 Planeterra worked with G Adventures to create a facilitated training program for tour leaders (known as Chief Experience Officers- CEO's) which powers their core values with a deeper understanding of how to make a difference.
- In 2011 Planeterra supported The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) to develop guidelines for involving volunteers in commercial tourism products. An advisory committee was established and 2 international meetings were held.
- In 2012 the Voluntourism Guidelines were published and launched at the Ecotourism and Sustainable Tourism Conference in Monterey, California.